Wednesday, June 10, 2009

What if you could not ride...ever again?

The other day when my back went out, riding was impossible. Even breathing was too much to do without painful consequences. That seems to be improving as I rode last night, a very careful pavement ride, but it was a ride.

I missed my bike those 7 days off of the saddle. I was in the middle of some tire testing and a men's camping trip/ride was coming up, but more than any plans or obligations, I just missed it for it's own sake. I found myself looking at riders on their road bikes around town and thinking, "I used to be able to do that." I would drive by the local ride gathering spot for MTB rides and see riders gearing up and I felt detached...separated...distant. It was quite odd since I have been off the bike before for sickness, injury, etc. I am not sure why this time seemed so dark and different, but I found myself acutely aware of the fact that I may not always be able to do this cycling thing.

That sucks.

I hope that I can pedal a bike right up to the day God calls me home. That would be cool, but unlikely. Still, one can hope.

No comments: