Saturday, September 4, 2010

Legs are a terrible thing to waste

Good thing I began looking like THIS!  Legs courtesy of Sean Kelly, superman.
Not pedaling is hard to do.  Of course, pedaling is hard to do also.  It is, "a predicament", as referred to by the King of Siam in the well known play.  But between the two I think NOT pedaling is harder.  It has been 2 weeks and 2 days since my surgery to enhance my fragile body with synthetic mesh panels, guaranteed to make me less bulgy and poofy around the...aaaahhh...lower middle of me, and although I am sure I will enjoy the performance bennies once it all comes together, right now it sucks.

I can't remember any time in the last 16 years where I was off a bicycle for this long.  The last time was my back surgery, and I had little choice there either.  So, in order to not turn into an SPD cleated jiggly puff by the time I saddle up again, I have been hiking and walking.  First it was walking, now hiking, actually as, around here, any hikes pretty much go UP!  I did a 5 mile hike about last Tues or so and it was OK, but tenuous for soreness.  Thurs eve I did another few miles of digital bi-pedal-ness in the dirt and that felt better.  This morning will be more a local walk, but hilly too.

It is not pedaling and it is not anything NEAR what a good singlespeed ride does for ya, but at least it is something.  At least I am moving forward and up, and every so often, I come home with dusty socks and a dirt line on my ankles.  It reminds me of the old days.  **sniff-sigh-wipe away small tear in corner of eye**

Soon I will be back and once again my legs will be as the gods...and as in the pic, Sean Kelly.  Something we have in common.  Oh, did I mention I am Irish? 

Me and Sean...you can hardly tell us apart, at least from the waist down and allowing for my slimming mesh panels.  Sean ain't got a prayer in that regard.

1 comment:

MELI. said...

hope all comes back to strength +your health is well. I had an ACL suregery about 10 years ago and it has done me very well.

this year me+my girlfriends did a century officially for the 1st time and that picture you posted me reminded me of this image we had in our head the whole time that said 'SHUT UP LEGS!!'