Friday, August 14, 2009

A weighty matter

What is wrong in this pic?



No, I am not trolling for trailside animals. No, I have not decided that the key to getting faster is a heavier bike. No, I am not shielding my rear brake caliper from harmful radiation with a lead covering.

This is a solution to this issue: The Infamous Avid/Juicy brake Turkey Gobble

In the immortal words of Sherlock Holmes, "Resonance, my dear Watson...resonance". Apparently the stars align in a way that the Juicy stuff seems to like to turn some bikes into a big tuning fork and the result is a noisy, frustrating, tingly ride. Weighting the caliper serves to change the frequency of the vibration and the extracts the gobble from the system, turning a true turkey of a brake into a golden goose. I rode last night and while I did get some squeal when the brakes were hot, there was no hint of the typical gobbly noise.

Huh. How about that? This is a test bike, so it is a temp thing, but if it were me, I would go to an automotive tire store and grab some of those stick on wheel weights for a cleaner look overall. Then the only turkey on my rides would be in a sandwich I was carrying.

No comments: