Friday, October 24, 2008

Update: Deuter Race EXP Air hydration pack

Well, I made a good call with the Deuter pack. Although I have bumped it out of everyday duties in favor of the Octane XC, I did get a chance to use it several times lightly loaded and once about 80% loaded, including a full water bladder. It performed just as I had hoped. The mesh panel kept the pack flat and stable against my back. The plumped up bladder could be seen as a bulge at the back wall of the pack, but that part never reaches my body. In fact, I think it rode better heavily loaded than lightly packed. Very cool. Literally. The way the pack rides away from your back is quite nice on hot days.

The expandable section allows for stuffing clothes as layers get shed, so it can carry a fair amount. Is it perfect? No.

Every once and awhile the wings seem to annoy me, but then hours will go by and I don't notice it again. I am not so crazy about the bite valve and the main compartment could use some segmentation or maybe a bit more ways to organize things in there, but that is about it as far as complaints. I have more to say about the pack, including detailed pics at this write-up on www.thebikelab.com, so check it out.

No comments: