Thursday, June 17, 2010

Tuggin' at the heart strings, Gary.

Most of the cycling world has heard by now of the hoo-hah surrounding the falling-off-the-face-of-the-planet of Gary Fisher bikes as a brand name separate from the parent owner, Trek bikes.  If you have been away, read more here.

I remember Fisher bikes most fondly from the era when the Mt Tam was still fillet brazed, circa the late 80s.  I still want one.  I have met Gary Fisher a few times, sat and had tacos with him and listened to him tell stories of the old days and talk about why he likes bikes and what the future holds for other folks like us who like bikes.

Gary, as far as I can see, is a genuine person and a cool guy.

So now we have the Gary Fisher collection by Trek.  You can speculate about what is good and bad about this 'absorption' of the GF brand, but I hope that it allows Gary to continue to be the visionary that he is at heart and we can benefit from that.

At least we will have this coming down the pike:

The Sawyer retro looking sweetness of a bike.


Dear Santa Gary/Trek - I likey.  Send me an XL please.  Even just a frameset.  I got parts.

Keep dreamin' GF.  The world needs more cool bikes and cool bike people.

No comments: